As of December 7, 2012 I have officially earned $53.73 with Google AdSense. I earned $44.59 of that this year alone. The payment threshold is $100. This means my unpaid earnings must reach $100 before I can receive a check from Google. Bottom line my goal of monetizing this blog is slowly paying off. Let me take you back to the beginning to show you how I got to this point.
When I first decided I wanted to monetize this blog I wanted to incorporate AdSense but I had a hard time. It kept telling I already had ads on my blog, which I didn’t, so I gave up and tried a different service. The only problem with that was since it was a third party provider I wouldn’t earn as much as if I went with Google directly. Eventually I did figure out the email attached to the account and was able to move it to one of my active emails.
Once I was all set up, I noticed I had originally sign up for AdSense around May 2005 and from then up until February 2007 (the last time the account was active), I earned a total of $9.14. My new Google AdSense ads went up in January of this year. I experimented with sizes and placements.
So far this is what’s working for me: ad banner sizes 300×250 and 728×90 earned me the most. Especially we I move the 300×250 above the fold (before you scroll). I used to have a 160×600 in the sidebar but it didn’t make much so I removed it.
As you notice I am in the middle of restyling this blog and I decided to add a new ad space to the home page, a 468×60 banner. This ad will only show on the home page and it’s below the fold. I plan on monitoring it for the next three months to see how it all goes.
I’m not sure how long it will take me to reach $100. I will continue to experiment and let you know what I learned. AdSense isn’t the only method of monetization I am using. Besides own offering my own ad space and affiliate marketing, I now run ads from the Liljit Network.