On Tuesday, one hundred and five bloggers proudly Rock the Red Pump on their blogs, to educate our communities about HIV/AIDS and how it disproportionately affects women and girls. Below are some statistics and additional resources.
According to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:
- 58% of new HIV infections in women are Black and Hispanic
- 1 in 3 New Yorkers living with HIV is a woman
- 94% of new HIV infections in teenage females are Black and Hispanic
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the Unites States:
- 33% of new AIDS cases are women
- 1 in 4 teenage females – or 3.2 million – is infected with at least one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases: Human Papillomavirus (HPV), Chlamydia, Herpes Simplex Virus, and Trichomoniasis
For more information on National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, you can visit www.womenshealth.gov/NWGHAAD.