My favorite thing to do as a kid was to hang out at the library. I love reading The Babysitters Club & Sweet Valley High books. As I got older, my interests switched to computers and web design. A huge part of that was researching. I still love to research to this day. Now I get to share what I learn. Here’s a list of resources every NYC Based Small Business should know.
Resources Every NYC Based Small Business Should Know About
Libraries are packed with resources. If you need a computer, you have access to desktops and laptops. Here are two branches that have dedicated business sections.
- Business Career Center located at Central Library – https://www.bklynlibrary.org
- Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) located in Manhattan – https://www.nypl.org
I know for sure in Brooklyn, our libraries have tons of business resources online. You definitely will need your library card. Please make sure you have one. The reason is that there are some things that you can only access while connected to the library’s network.
- IMPACCT Brooklyn (formally PACC) – http://www.impacctbrooklyn.org/
- Brooklyn Cooperative Federal Credit Union – http://www.brooklyn.coop/
- NYC Business Solutions – http://www.nyc.gov/nycbusiness
- (WIBO) Workshop in Business Opportunities – http://www.wibo.org/
- BOC Women’s Business Center – http://www.bocnet.org/
If you are looking for a place to work from, here’s a few CoWorking spaces. A CoWorking space is a location that you can pay to work from. Depending on your needs, you can do a membership where you pay for own office. Or you can just rent an open desk for the day or longer.
- WeWork – https://www.wework.com/
- BKLYN Commons – https://bklyncommons.com
- KettleSpace Coworking Space – https://www.kettlespace.com
- The Yard – https://theyard.com/
Here’s additional resources that everyone can use.
- U.S Copyright Office – https://www.copyright.gov
- U.S Patent and Trademark Office – https://www.uspto.gov
- Freelancers Union – https://www.freelancersunion.org
A little history: Sara Horowitz, a labor lawyer, was wrongly labeled as an independent worker. She should have been an employee. The mixup caused her not to receive any benefits. That experience lead Sara to create a nonprofit called Working Today. The organization focused on the needs of the independent workforce. It has grown and evolved into what we know today as the Freelancers Union.
U.S. Small Business Administration
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is a government agency that provides support to small businesses. On their site, you can find information on how to write business plans, get loans, government contracts, and more.
SCORE is a network of expert business mentors who volunteer their time & expertise to help others.
Events You Should Know About
- WBLS Circle of Sisters – https://www.wbls.com/circleofsisters (typically take place in September or October at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center)
- Small Business Expo – https://www.thesmallbusinessexpo.com/ (next one is in Brooklyn on November 20th 2019)
This is all for now. I hope you have found this information helpful. If you have questions, please let me know. I’m always here to help.
Bookmark this article. I will continue to update this post as I come across more info.